Sunday, June 18, 2006

Eyes of a Child

Teaching Mom
For kids, things are black and white. There is right and there is wrong. They don't see in shades of grey like adults do. This has caused me to back myself into a corner with my 4 year old on more than one occassion.

The ongoing discussion at hand is concerning Easter. We celebrate Resurrection Sunday - the day Christ rose from the dead after conquering sin and death. There are no eggs or bunnies involved in our celebration, but we have a wonderful fun time with singing, dancing, and a big party with lots of delicious food. When others around us began to talk about egg hunts and ask what the easter bunny was going to give them, of course my daughter wanted to know what we were missing. Because it's not the point of my writing today, I won't go into the details, but if you are interested in the history of Easter, then one place to find a summary of info is here History of Easter.

Suffice it to say, the origins of Easter are far from Godly and have no place in the celebration of Christ's Resurrection. After explaining this to my daughter, the first question out of her mouth is, "Why do (insert names of friends of ours) celebrate Easter & Resurrection Sunday?"


Another subject that has me backed into a corner is a non-religious one: makeup. Personally, I hate the stuff. I don't like the media brainwashing so prevalent in our society that makes little girls begin to dislike the way they look, and influence women to nip, tuck, hack, suck, inflate, and paint their way to a better self image. I'll admit I wore makeup for a few years in my teens in my search for my identity, but gave it up a couple years before meeting my husband. As a very girly little girl, my daughter loves to dress up in all sorts of foofoo clothing - it must all be some shade of pink and have ruffles - and prance around the house. At a baby shower, I reeived a set of makeup brushes as a door prize, and not knowing what else to do with them, gave them to her to play with. I thought she'd use them for painting or something. Having no previous exposure to makeup, it is uncanny how she automatically began to "apply" her makeup with them! Thus began the discussion about why we don't wear makeup. "Makeup is for women who don't think they are beautiful without it. Outward beauty is nothing but vanity - it's the beauty inside that must be seen: kindness, gentleness, meekness, love, patience, peace, and joy. You are very beautiful both inside and out." I thought it was sage advice: honest, reassuring... But listen to her response! "Why do Grandma and my Sunday School teachers wear makeup then? Aren't they beautiful?" Hmmmm....


The word that keeps coming to mind as the answer to the above scenerios is 'COMPROMISE'. We compromise our standards, our morals, our beliefs, in the name of tolerance and political correctness and even imagined beauty. Everything is acceptable and right if it makes the involved individual happy.
...but how do I explain this to a 4 year old? Things are so much simpler in black and white.

No comments: